Sherars Falls is the final waterfall along the Deschutes River. The falls drop about 15 feet into a narrow horseshoe shaped trough carved in the vast flood basalt formations blanketing eastern Oregon. The Deschutes has been heavily tapped for irrigation purposes and because of this Sherars Falls is not usually as burly as it could be with the river flowing naturally, but its still a fairly impressive cascade. The geology of the area is generally more interesting than the waterfall, river volume aside, and one can expect to see dozens of members of the Warm Springs Nation fishing at the falls - a long established tribal fishing ground.
- Sherars Falls is the Official name of this waterfall.
Sherars Falls was the site of a crossing point for local tribes as well as a sacred fishing ground. The falls are thought to have been discovered by Peter Skene Ogden in September of 1826. The first bridge was constructed below the falls in 1860 by John Todd, and rebuilt in 1862 after it washed away in floods. Through a series of transactions, the bridge was eventually transfered to Joseph Sherar, for whom the features were named, in 1871 who invested nearly $75,000 in maintenance and developing roads leading to the bridge.
Sherars Falls is located east of Tygh Valley between Maupin and The Dalles. Take Highway 197 south from The Dalles then turn east on Highway 216 (signed for White River Falls and Sherars Bridge). Sherars Falls can be found about 7 1/2 miles from Highway 197, just above Sherars Bridge. The falls are located on tribal land and public access is only allowed on the west side of the river. Please obey the regulations posted on site and park where requested (there are designated areas for tribal members only).